The application deadline has closed and candidates have been selected
Location: DELFT, The Netherlands
Type of contract: One-year contract under Dutch Law with possibility of renewal
The International Groundwater Resource Assessment Centre (IGRAC) is looking for a groundwater specialist, with expertise on groundwater quality, to integrate its team based in Delft, The Netherlands.
IGRAC is an independent global groundwater centre based in Delft, The Netherland working under the auspice of UNESCO, as a category 2 center, and the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). IGRAC is supported by the Government of the Netherlands. Since 2003, IGRAC promotes and facilitates worldwide exchange of groundwater knowledge and contributes to assessment of the global groundwater resources.
The groundwater specialist will contribute to the production and dissemination of groundwater information worldwide in line with IGRAC mission, vision and strategic objectives.
The specialist will participate in:
- The implementation of research and assessment projects on groundwater at national, regional and global level, in particular aiming to improve the understanding of groundwater role in socio-economic and environmental issues;
- The development of tools, guidelines and other products aiming to transfer scientific information to support:
- groundwater monitoring;
- decision-making at local and national level;
- an informed and sustainable groundwater management.
- The acquisition, management and sharing of data and information on groundwater worldwide;
- The valorisation and dissemination of groundwater data and information through scientific publications, reports, policy-briefs, stories, videos, media articles, etc;
- The preparation of concept notes and project proposals for external and/or internal funding, project reports and other IGRAC annual and planning reports;
- The representation of IGRAC in international networks as well as technical and scientific events;
- The implementation and/or support of capacity-development activities; and
- The supervision of interns students and MSc students.
The groundwater specialist will work under the supervision of IGRAC director.
Education and skills
- PhD or Master's degree in hydrogeology or related environmental science;
- Background knowledge and expertise in groundwater quality;
- Good knowledge of GIS, python and modelling;
- Good level of English written and spoken;
- Excellent communication skills (writing, speaking, listening), especially with non-specialists, with local, national and international institutions and organisations;
- Strong project management skills;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and diverse environment;
- Ability to deal with missions abroad; and
- A good level of additional official UN languages or Portuguese is a distinctive asset.
- At least 3 to 5 years of experience in the area of groundwater assessment and management, including at regional and/or international level and field experience;
- Experience in working with national and/or regional institutions and organisations; and
- Experience in project management and in project proposal development.
The position is based in Delft, The Netherlands.
Applications, including a letter of motivation and CV should be sent to IGRAC by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 20 January 2023.